Beneath the Skin
By Olivia Salter
Word Count: 5,787
The ceramic mug slipped from Anita’s hand, shattering against the kitchen floor in a sudden, violent cacophony. She cursed, a ragged sound, as a bolt of agony—sharp as a razor and hot as molten lead—tore through her wrist. Coffee splashed across the grout lines, pooling into dark, branching rivers that mirrored the inflamed web of veins beneath her pale skin.
Her body felt like a structural disaster, a house of cards held together by sheer willpower and brittle, aching joints. She crouched—a slow, grueling process that forced her to ignore the protest from her knees—and reached for a rag. As she wiped the mess, her fingers betrayed her, shaking with a tremor so profound she dropped the sodden cloth into the puddle.
“Dammit.”
The word was a raspy whisper, exhaled as if the walls themselves might rebuke her for the outburst. She leaned back against the lower cabinets, her breath hitched, shallow and uneven. This was her new rhythm: a quiet, unrelenting rebellion of biology against the basic mechanics of living.
Her gaze drifted to the window. Outside, the world was aggressively normal. Late autumn sunlight spilled in honeyed, golden pools across the manicured rooftops. Kids on bikes wove through the street, their laughter piercing the stillness like shards of light.
Inside, her world was a stagnant, shadowed vault.
The phone on the granite counter buzzed, a harsh, mechanical insect. She glanced at it, but her muscles refused the command to reach out. It buzzed again, a frantic vibration. She forced herself up, using the counter as a crutch, and snatched the device. Gloria.
She hesitated, watching the screen pulse with her mother’s relentless digital heartbeat. On the third cycle, the screen faded to black, replaced by the notification of a voicemail.
Anita sighed, the sound rattling in her chest. She didn’t need to play the audio to know the script: a volatile concoction of maternal love, sharp-edged worry, and that suffocating care that made her ribs feel too tight. She would call back. Eventually. Maybe.
Turning away, her gaze snagged on the windowsill. Her paintbrushes sat in a chipped ceramic jar, the bristles stiff with two-year-old ghosts of color, the wooden handles gray and neglected. Her stomach twisted, a visceral rejection of the memories they held.
She hadn’t painted since the diagnosis. She hadn't dared.
It had begun as a whisper in her joints, an ache that ignored the passing of seasons. Then came the exhaustion—a crushing, suffocating fatigue that pulled at her bones like a gravitational anomaly, sinking her into the earth. The butterfly-shaped rash that bloomed across her cheeks had been the final, cruel signature, a permanent brand of her own betrayal.
The doctor’s office had been sterile, white, and suffocating. The words were rehearsed, delivered with the practiced detachment of someone reciting a weather report. “You have systemic lupus erythematosus. It’s an autoimmune disease. It’s chronic, but manageable.”
Manageable.
No one had warned her that the word was a lie. There was no managing a war fought within one’s own marrow. There was only the parade of pills, the erratic flaring of her immune system, and the profound, echoing silence of isolation. “Chronic” meant forever. Forever felt like a life sentence served in solitary confinement.
Anita shook the memory away, returning to the floor. She gripped the rag, wringing it out until her knuckles turned a stark, bloodless white. Her wrist screamed in protest, a serrated line of fire shooting up her forearm. She gritted her teeth, ignoring the stinging in her eyes, scrubbing until the ceramic was pristine.
By the time the floor was clean, the effort had drained the remaining color from her skin. She collapsed into the chair by the window, her body limp. The paintbrushes seemed to mock her, a silent condemnation of the artist she had been before her body became her prison.
The phone buzzed again. This time, the caller ID wasn’t her mother.
Miles.
The name landed in her chest like a physical blow, knocking the wind from her lungs. She hadn’t spoken to him in two years. Two years of silence, two years of forgetting the shape of his voice.
“Hey, it’s Miles. I know it’s been a long time. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking… about you. How are you doing, Anita?”
She stared at the text, her thumb hovering over the glass. The ghost of their final conversation rose up, vivid and painful. She’d been in the hospital, the scent of antiseptic so thick it felt like chewing on metallic dust. Miles had sat by her bed, his hands clutched in his lap, his eyes darting toward the exit.
“I don’t know what to do,” he had admitted, his voice hollow. “This is… a lot.”
She had nodded, a slow, dead motion. She knew what he meant. She was a lot. She was a high-maintenance disaster. He hadn’t returned after that.
Now, after the silence had solidified into a wall, he was back, trying to bridge a canyon he’d helped dig.
She typed a response, deleted it, typed another, and finally settled on a thin, brittle neutrality.
I’m okay. Taking it day by day.
She stared at the send button, her finger shaking. Was that even the truth?
The reply was instantaneous, the buzz of the phone a startle against the quiet.
“Glad to hear that. I know I don’t deserve to just reappear in your life, but I’ve missed you, Anita. If you ever want to talk, or just get coffee… I’m here.”
Missed me? The words felt like a scratchy wool sweater she couldn’t remove. Anger flared, a sudden, bright heat beneath her exhaustion. Where was he when the fatigue felt like drowning? When she sat in waiting rooms, freezing in those paper-thin gowns? When the simple act of standing up required a feat of mental gymnastics?
Her finger hovered over the delete key, the temptation to erase him entirely—to wipe him from her existence as he had wiped himself from hers—almost overwhelming. Instead, she turned the phone face-down, as if burying the device could silence the storm in her head.
She tried to focus on the mundane: the hypnotic ticking of the kitchen clock, the hum of the refrigerator. But her gaze was a moth, irresistibly drawn to the flame of those neglected brushes.
The next morning, the sun carved brutal, sharp-edged streaks of gold across the room. Her phone was a frantic, vibrating creature on the nightstand.
“Hello?” Her voice was shredded, the sound of someone who hadn't slept.
“Good morning, baby.” Gloria’s voice was a warm, familiar blanket, but Anita could hear the underlying tremor of anxiety. “Did you see my message?”
“I did.”
“And you didn’t call back.”
“I meant to, Mom. I just…” She stared at the ceiling, picturing the familiar, cluttered comfort of her mother’s kitchen. “It’s been a rough week.”
“Rough how?” Gloria’s tone was guarded, hovering on the edge of panic. “Are you eating? Are you taking your medication?”
“I’m fine, Mom. Really.”
A silence stretched between them, heavy and resonant.
“Baby,” her mother said, her voice dropping an octave, “you don’t have to play the soldier with me. You don’t have to be strong all the time.”
Anita swallowed, the lump in her throat a sharp, jagged stone. Gloria’s love was a piercing light; she saw through the defenses Anita spent every waking moment constructing.
“I know,” she whispered.
“I made gumbo last night. I’m dropping a bowl off later.”
“Thanks, Mom.”
“Don’t thank me. Just make sure you eat it.” Gloria’s voice lightened, forced and bright. “Love you.”
“Love you too.”
When the connection severed, Anita stared at the phone. Miles’ message remained, an unread sentence that felt like a threat and a promise all at once.
Before the diagnosis, there had been a different life. A life of vibrant pigments and the chaotic energy of a studio humming with the sounds of creation. She remembered the nights spent with Miles, long before the illness arrived, before the walls of her apartment became a cage.
They had met at an art opening—his earnest, slightly frantic energy a perfect foil to her quiet, observational focus. There was a time when he had looked at her not with pity, but with a kind of awe, as if she were made of light and shadow. They had spent nights arguing over the merits of Impressionism, drinking cheap wine in her cramped studio while the city hummed below.
Miles had been the one to encourage her to apply for the prestigious gallery residency that she had eventually won. He had been her champion, her muse, her anchor. And then, the world tilted. The ache in her hands, the fatigue that felt like lead in her veins—it wasn't just a hurdle; it was the end of the life they had built together.
She remembered him standing in the doorway of her studio, the light hitting his face in a way that made him look like a stranger. "I don't know who this is, Anita," he had said, gesturing to the medical forms scattered on her table. "I don't know how to live with this person."
She hadn't been able to defend herself. She didn't know who she was either. And so, he left.
The silence that followed had been a physical presence in the room. Now, years later, the ghost of that version of herself seemed to be haunting the corners of her apartment, reminding her that the woman he was coming to visit was a stranger to him, and in many ways, a stranger to herself.
The therapy had been a slow, grueling excavation. Miles often recounted the details of those sessions with a brutal, self-lacerating honesty that terrified and fascinated her. He spoke of the "Shadow Office"—a small, windowless space where Dr. Aris would demand he account for his absences, not just from Anita, but from his own life.
"She made me look at the fear," Miles had confessed one evening, his voice tight. "She called it 'the coward’s harvest.' You sow fear, and you reap a life of empty, hollow rooms."
There was one session he described that haunted Anita for weeks. He had been so overwhelmed by the memory of her pain that he had walked out of the clinic, bought a train ticket to nowhere, and spent three days in a Motel 6 staring at a stained carpet. He didn't know why he went there, or what he was running from, until Dr. Aris asked him to describe the color of his guilt.
"I told her it was the color of a bruised lung," Miles had whispered, his eyes distant. "Purple, black, and suffocating. It was then I realized I hadn't been trying to protect you. I had been trying to insulate myself from the reality of human decay. Because if you could break, I could break. And that was the only truth I couldn't stomach."
Hearing him say it—this terrifying, ugly confession—was the first time Anita felt like she could breathe in his presence. He wasn't a hero; he was just a man who had realized he was human, and he was terrified of the fragility of that state.
The gallery residency hung over her like a guillotine. The envelope, made of heavy, cream-colored cardstock, sat on her desk like an indictment. She ran her thumb over the embossed lettering, the texture cold and unforgiving against her sensitive skin.
"You should go," Gloria had urged, her eyes bright with a desperate kind of hope. "It’s a professional validation, Anita. A reminder of who you are beyond the labs and the clinic visits."
But Anita saw the reality differently. She imagined the commute—the brutal, jarring motion of the subway that would set her joints on fire. She pictured the shared studio space, filled with young, vibrant artists whose energy would be an exhausting, abrasive contrast to her own fragile metabolism. How could she possibly survive three months of social and physical demands in a city that didn't know how to slow down for her?
Every time she looked at the acceptance letter, a familiar, cold spike of dread pierced her. It wasn't just about the disease; it was about the loss of the person who could have done it. The Anita who earned that spot was a woman who could stand for ten hours at an easel. The Anita she was now—the woman who needed a heating pad and a brace just to exist—felt like an imposter.
She sat at her small, improvised worktable, staring at her own hands. They were stiff, the knuckles slightly swollen, looking like a map of her own internal terrain. She picked up a brush, testing its weight. It felt heavier than she remembered, a tool of a trade she no longer felt entitled to claim.
By mid-afternoon, the kitchen was rich with the scent of okra, sausage, and dark roux. Anita stood by the stove, her wrist wrapped in a thick neoprene brace as she stirred the pot. The heat from the stove felt like a small, controlled mercy.
Her eyes drifted to the windowsill. Just once, she thought. Just to see if the world still exists.
She reached for a brush. The wood was cool, the bristles stiff with time. She ran her thumb over them, a tremor moving through her hand. She ignored the protest from her wrist and pulled an old sketchbook from the depths of her closet. The spine cracked, a loud, bone-dry sound that echoed in the empty apartment.
She opened to a blank page. Her first stroke was a jagged, hesitant line of cerulean blue. It clung to the paper like a desperate hope. She stared at it, her hand hovering, frozen by the sudden, overwhelming void of inspiration.
What’s the point?
She slammed the brush down, the sound ringing out. Her head throbbed. She reached for her phone, her fingers finding the chat without her permission.
I don’t know if I can just pick up where we left off, she typed. Everything is different now. I’m different.
She hit send before her courage failed.
The reply arrived like a heartbeat.
I know. But I want to get to know who you are now. If you’ll let me.
She read the words twice, her chest tight. She didn't trust them—not for a second—but they sparked something. A flicker of something she had buried beneath the pain: curiosity. Or perhaps just a desperate need for the world to be bigger than four walls and a heating pad.
She picked up the brush, dipping it into a pool of deep, defiant crimson. The line was steadier, more deliberate. The paint bled into the paper, a small, bloody victory.
The knock at the door was sharp, precise—the sound of someone who had practiced their approach. Anita froze in the living room, her heart hammering against her ribs. Miles had texted, asking if he could stop by, and in a moment of reckless curiosity, she had replied with a single, cryptic Fine.
Now, standing in the dim light, she regretted the invitation.
The knock sounded again.
She pulled the door open, the security chain taut. Miles stood on the landing, his frame silhouetted against the encroaching twilight. He looked older, his face etched with a new, weary maturity. He was wearing a plain, nondescript hoodie, his hands buried deep in his pockets.
“Hey,” he said, his voice barely a breath.
Anita didn’t speak, her eyes tracking the lines around his eyes. Was that guilt? Or just the passage of time?
“Can I come in?”
She unlatched the chain—a slow, agonizing slide—and swung the door wide.
The apartment felt like a tomb. Before, it had been a vibrant tapestry of her life: canvases stacked against the walls, the air heavy with the scent of oil paint and turpentine. Now, it was stripped bare, a hollow shell reflecting her own depletion.
Miles stepped inside, his eyes darting around, absorbing the change. “It’s been a while.”
“You think?” Her tone was a blade, sharp and unyielding.
He nodded, accepting the cut. “I deserve that.”
Anita crossed her arms, leaning back against the couch, a protective barrier of fabric and bone. “Why, Miles? Really. Why now?”
He shifted, his feet shuffling. “I needed to see you. I needed to explain.”
She let out a dry, hollow laugh that didn’t reach her eyes. “Explain? You want to explain why you vanished when the reality of my life became too inconvenient for your comfort?”
“I didn’t know how to handle it,” he burst out, his voice cracking. “You were deteriorating, and I felt so… helpless. Every time I looked at you, I saw how much you were suffering, and I didn’t know how to fix it. So I got scared. I ran.”
“You got scared?” She stepped toward him, the pain in her knees a dull, background roar. “Do you think I wasn’t scared? Do you think I didn’t want to run? But I couldn’t, Miles. I didn’t have the luxury of disappearing. I had to live in this skin every single day, and I had to do it alone.”
He flinched, his posture collapsing inward. “I’m sorry. I know that’s not enough.”
“It’s not,” she snapped. “You don’t get to just waltz back into the ruins and act like you didn’t help tear the house down.”
“I’m not trying to fix it,” he said, stepping closer, his expression earnest, raw. “I’m trying to acknowledge the damage. I’ve spent two years thinking about you every single day. I’ve spent two years hating the coward I was.”
“Thinking about me doesn’t change the nights I spent in the ER staring at a ceiling tile,” she said, her voice trembling.
“I know,” he whispered. “I know I don’t deserve another chance. But I’m asking for one anyway. Because I’m a different person than I was back then.”
Anita looked at him, her heart a tangled knot of resentment and a treacherous, lingering warmth. The man she had loved was still there, lurking behind the guilt.
“You don’t get to fix this with a speech,” she said finally, her voice low. “It’s going to take more than that.”
“I know.”
“If you want to be here,” she continued, “you have to know it won’t be easy. There will be days when I can’t move. Days when I won’t be able to speak. Days when I won’t even want to look at you. Can you handle that, or are you just going to run again when the light gets too dim?”
He looked her dead in the eye. “I’m not going anywhere.”
Dinner was a quiet affair, the clinking of spoons against bowls the only sound in the room. Anita watched him as he ate, his movements cautious, as if he were navigating a minefield.
“So,” she broke the silence, “what have you been doing for two years? Besides feeling guilty?”
He set his spoon down, his gaze shifting to the window. “I started therapy. Six months after I left.”
Anita blinked, her spoon hovering. “Therapy?”
“Yeah.” He nodded, his fingers tapping a nervous rhythm on the table. “I realized I had a massive, gaping hole where my empathy should have been. My therapist, Dr. Aris, was relentless. She didn't let me hide behind the ‘I was scared’ excuse. She forced me to map out exactly how my fear manifested as selfishness.”
Anita leaned back, studying him. The anger was still there, but it was losing its edge, blunted by the sheer weight of his honesty. “And?”
“And I learned that being there for someone isn't about fixing them,” he said, his voice steady. “It’s about showing up. Even when it’s ugly. Even when it hurts. I had to unlearn the idea that my value was tied to being the ‘fixer.’ I had to learn to sit with my own feelings of inadequacy without acting on them—which meant, in our case, staying instead of fleeing.”
She looked down at her bowl, the steam curling into the air. “You know how selfish that sounds, right? That you had to learn that?”
“I do,” he admitted. “And I live with that every day. But I’m trying to do better. My therapist helped me understand that empathy is an active practice, not a feeling you just have. It’s a muscle you have to build.”
They continued talking, the conversation a cautious, tentative dance. They avoided the big, jagged edges of their past, focusing on the small, mundane textures of their current realities. For a moment, it felt like the ghosts of who they used to be were whispering in the corners of the room.
After dinner, Miles insisted on cleaning up. Anita stood at the counter, watching him, a strange, disjointed feeling of dissonance filling her. This was the man who had abandoned her, yet he was washing her dishes with the careful, respectful attention of a houseguest.
“You don’t have to do that,” she said, her voice soft.
He looked over his shoulder, a ghost of a smile on his lips. “I want to. It’s a start.”
As he finished and dried his hands, he turned to face her, his expression sharpening. “I meant what I said, Anita. I’m not here to play a part. I’m here because I want to be in your life. Even with all the wreckage.”
Anita felt a tremor of fear. To let him back in was to open herself to a repeat performance of her greatest heartbreak. “Actions, Miles. Not words. Words are cheap.”
“I know,” he said, his voice dropping to a near-whisper. “And I’m prepared to pay the price. However long it takes.”
That night, alone in the kitchen, Anita sat with her sketchbook. She picked up a brush, dipping it into a pool of deep indigo. She began to draw, the lines forming shapes she hadn't consciously envisioned but that felt vital, as if they were erupting from her own skin. The act of painting felt like a cauterization—a way of sealing the wounds, not just on the paper, but within herself.
She didn’t know what tomorrow held, but for the first time in years, the future didn’t feel like a closed door. It felt like a possibility.
The residency continued to loom, a persistent, throbbing question. Could she?
The next day, she decided to try a "rehearsal." She attempted to set up her studio as if she were preparing for a move. She began by gathering the essential supplies: the tubes of oil paint, the expensive brushes, the jars of linseed oil. Each item felt like a relic from a different life.
As she lifted a heavy wooden box of paints, her wrist gave out. The box hit the floor, and tubes of pigment rolled across the hardwood—Alizarin Crimson, Viridian, Cadmium Yellow. It looked like a crime scene of color.
She sat on the floor, the pain a white-hot hum in her arm, and looked at the mess. She started to cry, not from the pain, but from the humiliation of her own body's limitations. She was a woman trying to build a castle with sand that kept turning into water.
Miles found her there an hour later. He didn't say a word. He didn't ask if she was okay. He simply sat on the floor with her and began picking up the tubes of paint, stacking them neatly into the box. He didn't rush. He treated each tube as if it were a precious artifact, restoring a shattered piece of her history.
"We can figure out the logistics," he said softly, after a long silence. "We can get a rolling cart. We can find a studio with an elevator. We can manage the flare-ups."
"It's not just the logistics, Miles," she whispered, her voice choked. "It's the effort. The sheer, grinding effort of just trying to act like I'm capable. It's exhausting."
"Then stop acting," he said, looking at her with a raw, fierce intensity. "Just be the person who is struggling. That’s enough for me."
For the first time, she didn't look away. She let herself see the vulnerability in his eyes—the realization that he, too, was struggling, and that his struggle was just as real as hers.
The first sign was always the heat—a creeping, invisible fire that coiled around her wrists and elbows. By the time Anita woke, the ache had blossomed into a full-scale assault, a deep, grinding pressure that made her marrow feel like it was being crushed.
She rolled onto her side, staring at the dust motes dancing in the morning light. Morning usually held the promise of a fresh start; today, it felt like a betrayal. Her body was a battlefield, and the enemy was winning.
She pulled herself upright, her joints popping in a staccato rhythm of protest. Every muscle felt like it had been stretched to the point of snapping. “You got this,” she whispered, the mantra a hollow echo in the vast, empty room.
In the bathroom, the fluorescent lights felt like needles against her eyes. She reached for her moisturizer, but her hand spasmed, and the glass bottle plummeted, shattering against the tile.
“Damn it!” she hissed, the spike of frustration more painful than the physical ache.
The flare had arrived in earnest, and it wasn’t going to let her forget it.
By noon, she was anchored to the couch, a heavy wool blanket pulled up to her chin and a heating pad pressed against her knees. The world outside the window was blurred, a haze of muted color.
Her phone buzzed. Miles.
Are you okay? You’ve been quiet.
She stared at the screen, her fingers trembling. She didn’t want him to see her like this. She didn’t want him to see the broken, defeated creature she became during a flare.
I’m in a flare, she typed. Don’t come over.
She set the phone aside, closing her eyes. The pain was a rising tide, threatening to pull her under.
The doorbell rang three hours later.
Anita groaned, pulling herself up. When she swung the door open, Miles was standing there, his face clouded with worry. He held a bag of groceries in one arm and a bouquet of vibrant, unpretentious daisies in the other.
“You said don’t come over,” he said, his voice apologetic. “But I figured you might need soup. Or company. Or both.”
Anita looked at the flowers, then at him. The wall she had spent years building felt suddenly, violently thin. “I told you, Miles. It’s ugly when it gets like this.”
He stepped inside, his eyes softening as they swept over her—the disheveled hair, the pale skin, the guarded tension in her posture. “I’m not looking for ‘pretty,’ Anita. I’m looking for you.”
He moved to the kitchen, unpacking the bag with a quiet efficiency. He didn't ask where things went; he just found the rhythm of her space, moving with a grace that felt like a quiet, unspoken prayer.
Anita collapsed back onto the couch, her joints throbbing. “You don’t have to do this,” she said, her voice raw.
He walked over, sitting on the edge of the coffee table, close enough that she could feel the heat radiating from him. “I’m not doing it because I have to. I’m doing it because I want to.”
He reached out, his hand hovering over her arm before he gently rested it on her shoulder. The touch was light, tentative, but it sent a shockwave of sensation through her. It was the first time he had touched her in two years, and the contact was electric, a grounding force in the storm of her pain.
“I’m so tired, Miles,” she admitted, the words spilling out of her.
“I know,” he said, his voice a low, soothing hum. “You’ve been carrying this alone for too long. Let me take some of the weight.”
Anita leaned her head back, her eyes fluttering shut. For the first time, she didn’t fight the sensation of letting go. She didn't fight the urge to weep. She let the pain, the exhaustion, and the fear pour out of her, and Miles remained. He didn't turn away, he didn't offer platitudes—he simply sat with her, a silent, unshakeable anchor in the dark.
The next few weeks were a delicate, intricate choreography. Miles visited every other day, bringing food, picking up supplies, or simply sitting in the corner with a book while she worked on her sketches.
Anita watched him, waiting for the crack in the façade, the moment he would realize that this—this chronic, unpredictable, painful life—was too much.
One evening, he reached for her sketchbook. She froze, but she didn’t stop him.
He flipped through the pages, his eyes lingering on the raw, unflinching sketches of her own hands—the swollen, red knuckles, the trembling fingers, the raw agony captured in ink.
“These are… beautiful,” he said, his voice thick.
“They’re honest,” she corrected.
He turned to a page she had done during her last flare. It was a sketch of a woman’s face, half-shrouded in shadow, her hands reaching out toward a sliver of light.
“Is this you?” he asked, glancing at her.
“It’s who I’m trying to be,” she said, her voice barely a whisper.
He closed the book, setting it gently on the table. “You don’t have to reach alone, Anita. I’m right here.”
Anita felt the weight of his gaze. She wanted to believe him. She needed to believe him. But the fear was a hard, cold knot in the center of her chest.
“I’ve been hurt before, Miles,” she said, her voice shaking. “If I let you in, and you leave again… I don’t think I have enough left to rebuild.”
“I’m not going anywhere,” he repeated, the words a vow. “I’ve spent the last two years learning that if I’m not by your side, I’m not really living. I’m just existing. And I’m done with that.”
He reached for her hand, his palm warm, calloused, and solid. Anita looked at their joined hands—the contrast between his strong, steady grip and her own trembling, bruised skin. She felt a sudden, profound shift, a cracking of the final, deepest layer of her armor.
The final phase began as a blur of light and adrenaline. Anita had decided to go. It wasn't a choice made with bravado, but a quiet, stubborn decision made in the middle of a sleepless night.
The gallery opening was the end-point of her residency, a culmination of months of labor that had nearly destroyed her, then slowly, miraculously, rebuilt her. The gallery was sleek, minimalist, and overwhelming. The air conditioning hummed, a sterile, cool contrast to the warm, stifling air of her apartment, and the scent of expensive wine and polished wax clung to the room.
Anita stood by her centerpiece, the portrait of the woman in the shadows. Her wrist was heavily taped, and she wore a dress that hid the worst of the compression sleeves, but she stood there, her spine straight.
Miles stood near her, not hovering, but present. Every time she felt her energy dip, she would feel his steady hand on the small of her back—a silent, physical infusion of strength.
"You did it," he whispered, as a small crowd began to cluster around her painting.
A tall man in a sharp-cut charcoal suit stepped forward, squinting at the canvas. "The texture is remarkable," he remarked, his tone detached, almost clinical. "It feels... almost like a decay. Tell me, is this meant to represent the inevitable collapse of the subject?"
Anita met his gaze. The old Anita—the one who wanted to please—would have nodded. The new Anita felt the familiar prickle of heat in her wrist, a warning flare. She took a breath, feeling Miles’s thumb brush her spine, and found her voice.
"It’s not a collapse," she said, her tone quiet but unshakable. "It’s a portrait of endurance. It’s what remains when you stop pretending that being 'fine' is the goal."
The man blinked, surprised, then inclined his head. "I see."
She watched him move on, then turned to Miles, the noise of the gallery fading into a distant, inconsequential hum. She felt the familiar pull of the ache in her bones, the creeping exhaustion of standing too long in the artificial light, but for the first time, it didn't feel like a defeat. It felt like the price of admission.
"I did," she agreed, her voice steady.
She looked at her hands, the hands that had been her prison, now the instruments of her liberation. The tremor was still there, a tiny, rhythmic flutter, but she no longer tried to hide it. She held her hand out to Miles, and he took it, his grip as firm as the ground beneath her feet.
The crowd was applauding, but the sound didn't matter. The only thing that mattered was the realization that the life she had been afraid to live was, in fact, the only one worth having. She was broken, she was healing, and for the first time in her life, she was undeniably, beautifully real.
The future remained an unwritten page, filled with both the promise of light and the inevitability of darkness. But as she stood there, anchored by the presence of the man she had learned to trust again, Anita realized that she was finally, truly, beneath the skin, and she was enough.
"I’m ready," she said, the words a final, irrevocable promise.
Miles squeezed her hand, a steady, rhythmic pressure that synced with her own heart. "I'm here," he said. "Always."
And in the quiet, crowded room, surrounded by the remnants of her struggle and the birth of her new life, Anita realized that the story wasn't ending. It was simply, finally, beginning.
Visit Olivia Salter’s Author Page at Amazon.
© 2025 Olivia Salter - All rights reserved.
No part of this book may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form without the express written permission of the author.

No comments:
Post a Comment